Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Kid Tested, Mother Approved

Mom wanted her subtly-requested Scholar Collar to be in a neutral color so that she can wear with her work clothes. Something in black, beige, or red was preferred.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm not afraid of bright colors. Trying to balance the request of my dear mother with the limitations of my self-imposed Knit from Your Stash 2007 rules proved to be a challenge. I thought I might have to break down and go yarn shopping (note the exemption for just such an occasion), but deep deep down in my stash I
found something that might work.

I wasn't totally sure it would fit the bill since it has a lot of dark brown mixed with the beige, but I decided to start knitting so I could show her a swatch during my visit to Dallas. She approved it on the spot. Whew!


This is Lion Brand Al-Pa-Ka, a wool-alpaca-acrylic blend that is now discontinued. It's made from one dark brown strand and one beige strand twisted together. The two twisted colors knit in garter stitch end up looking like a moss stitch. Brainless knitting that looks more complicated? Yeah, I'm down with it!

There are three balls in my stash so I should have plenty for this project. I have had this yarn in my stash since 2001. Yep, that's right, 2001. Thank goodness my mom approved it for her Scholar Collar, because it is time for this yarn to get off its lazy but and do some work!

No comments: